Saturday, September 18, 2010

Travel reading

My Kobo is loaded with books for my journey, 27 hours of flying and a 10 hour layover. Included are modern classics that I haven't got round to reading: The Song of the Lark by Will Cather and Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, contemporary titles that somehow I missed on publication: The Book Thief  by Marcus Zusak and People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks, and some book group suggestions that I didn't have time for: Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Boudain and A Book of Common Prayer by Joan Didion.
Interesting that three of the titles include the word book!     

                 
     

1 comment:

  1. This is not to say it's better than the others, but it is the only one of these that I have read: I highly recommend "Kitchen Confidential". I've enjoyed, though not always agreed with, Anthony Bourdain's views on food, people & life, as expressed through this & other books, as well as his television programmes.

    I'll be very interested in your thoughts especially on "People of the Book": I read "March" (which I just note won her the Pulitzer Prize) & wasn't, overall, very impressed. It was ambitious & interesting & rewarding reading in parts, but it somehow didn't just work for me.

    ReplyDelete