Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Morrall titles

I just love the titles of the books by Clare Morrall. I first read Astonishing splashes of colour when I learnt that it had been shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2003. Then I found The language of others in the Heathrow airport bookshop and read it non-stop on my journey home to New Zealand. I have just finsished her latest book The Man who disappeared and realise that I like them all for similar reasons: they are about ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances or maybe extraordinary people in ordinary circumstances; her characters lead interesting lives but there are always issues that need resolving. She describes people and situations with an understanding eye and lets her readers draw their own conclusions. Insightful, I would say!

No comments:

Post a Comment