Monday, April 12, 2010

First person narratives

First person narratives in fiction are always interesting, sometimes not reliable and increasingly speaking from elsewhere! I'm thinking about the books narrated after a character's death;  The Lovely bones, If I stay and Her fearful symmetry in particular.

What links these books is that the narrator is trying to make sense of the current situation by considering the past and the possible future. In essence, these books explore relationships between the narrator and the other characters but because of the narrator's unique position they have more knowledge than any of the other characters. That adds an extra element of analysis and consideration that I have enjoyed in these three novels.

And I have just noticed that the covers are a similar shade of blue - now I wonder if that is significant too?

No comments:

Post a Comment