Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Online privacy and security

Well this is a dilemna. Whilst I am pleased with the strict controls on using my credit card over the internet, I am frustrated by the requirement to change my password every six weeks on my work computer. Internet security is both a blessing and a nuisance.
As a librarian promoting the use of digital facilities it is important to pass on information to other people so that they feel safe using social networking, banking and public opinion applications. Personally I don't see the world as any different; in feudal times everyone knew what everyone else was up to in the village. When I was growing up in a small community news of my whereabouts and who I was with always got back to my parents pretty quickly!
Surveillance may be now digital but is it always threatening?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patricia - your comments are interesting & you're right, we often assume behaviour is threatening more than not. At least we can openly discuss these issues & not get too carried away. rgds Vera

    ReplyDelete