Saturday, October 31, 2009

Twitter and Libraries

Found this Library joke by searching for Librarians who twitter, seems that Librarians who twitter also blog!



In general Librarians use twitter to share information and ideas; Libraries use twitter to promote their resourses and services. One of the services provided by Vancouver Central Library is hosting weddings - well I would never have known that without twitter but I'm adding it to my list of places to visit around the world. Many of the tweets provided by Libraries (I looked closely at Rodney and Vancouver) do not actually answer the question "what are you doing" rather they inform people about events, provide links to websites with reviews, recommendations, news etc. and some individuals send topical messages e.g Happy Halloween.
Tweets do seem to be written in a new language; as a newbie I'm finding it hard to follow conversations and threads but I guess it will come with practice. I found the messaging from some of the Libraries using twitter to be one-sided; not many patrons following. I do wonder how widespread twittering really is? Or how widespread it might become ? Shall we worry about this tweet ?
 "stereotypical library dying." "hipster staffers . . .who . . .use twitter. . . Edging out old school librarians."

My tweets are likely to be old school e.g.

bookchat today 10.30am bring a recommended book bring a friend c u @ECBLibrary

read the help gr8 stories of real people in tough times, touching and scary at same time but hopeful ending Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment