Thursday, October 29, 2009

Searching Twitter



I searched for book groups and found readinggroupies who maintain that "Book groups are the new rock n' roll". Since I am part of 5 books, I must be doing lots of dancing :) This particular group is a network of reading groups in North London and they swap titles, trip details, event times and answers to quizzes.
In the same search I found Neighbours, a huge network of people across Dublin who run book clubs, tax evasion clubs, parties (halloween is next) and something to do with fire engines to name but a few.
The search engine was good because it found book groups, book clubs, reading groups and reading clubs - different names used in different countries; without me having to suggest alternatives.

For my third party search engine I chose Twoogle (loved its mashup name) and got 189 million hits. It looked just like an ordinary google search and only found the word twitter in the text of the website. At least in the first few pages of results there were no twitter sites. Adding twitter to the search string looked more promising and I found the Twitter Moms Book Club which is a webiste with a tweetboard but the book discussions happened on the website not by tweets. I guess 140 characters is not enough to really say what you think about a book.


No comments:

Post a Comment